Friday, August 1, 2008

My Hispanic roots?

Seriously, I have none. Here's proof:

When I lived in Austin, I had a nanny from Mexico, who used to make us tacos (she made chicken mole too, but that's another story). I watched a few times, so now I know how to make them. Not those dry, crispy pre-made taco shells they sell in the store, and not the "soft tacos" that are made from a smushy tortilla wrapped around the filling. But a fried taco.

It's not too hard, really. You heat some oil in a small pan, drop the flour tortilla in, and poke it a few times so it doesn't turn into a giant tortilla balloon. When it starts to turn slightly brown and crispy, flip it over and add fillings. Then fold in half and press down to secure the fillings inside. Voila (not sure how to translate that into Spanish!), you're done.

March absolutely LOVES tacos. Since she's a vegetarian, I fill them with refried beans and cheese. Then she adds lettuce and tomato and, her favorite, sour cream. Since the planets would all collide if both girls liked the same food, June only likes beef tacos, and, in fact, doesn't really want the taco at all, but would prefer to eat the filling and the toppings separately.

The other night I was desperate to make a quick and hearty meal for the girls. Since I've been eating Diet to Go , their eating has been a bit...well, odd. Not unhealthy, just a bit like grazing. Anyhow, searching desperately, I found some tortillas and some sour cream and cheese, but no refried beans and no meat. I had just bought a new package of tater tots, though. So, yes, I made Tater Tot Tacos (say that 10 times fast!).

Truly, not an authentic Mexican tradition, but they were incredibly delicious. I snuck a bite--yum! March begged for seconds, and begged me to make them again about two days later. Even June took a bite and liked it and had some the second time!!

Tip: Microwave the frozen tater tots until they're soft and warmed, about 30 seconds. Then stick in the frying tortilla along with a sprinkle of shredded cheese. Fold over and press together until cheese melts. Dinner in five minutes or less!!

2 comments:

Olga said...

are you like going to like turn this into a food blog!? :) because then you'll need to take some food pictures!

this reminds me of an episode of Food Network's Next Star when one of the girls made pizza with mashed potatoes on top. everybody thought it was bizarre, but I love mashed potato sandwiches.

Unknown said...

Fried dough and fried potatoes - i can't think of a better combination! When I worked at Cuisine at home we tested recipes for fried puffy tacos - they were awesome but never made the issue sadly. Fried disks of dough shaped into a taco once fried, filled with all the fixings.