Wednesday, October 8, 2008

My friends...

Despite the hacking cough that my daughter has been kind enough to share with me, I was determined to stay awake through the debates last night. Because there were important things to be learned from listening to these two candidates discuss the issues. No, not their positions or views. Heck, I've already absentee voted anyway. But I made a bet with a co-worker as to how many times McCain would say "my friends". I said he'd say it 20 times. My co-worker first thought I was way off, that it would only be around 10 times. When I reminded him that it was a town-hall format, he upped it to 15.

He said it 17 times!!! I guess I technically lost. But still, I was pretty close.

It was also kind of fun to watch the scrolling Ohio undecided voters opinions. I didn't really understand all their reactions. Clearly they didn't like anything negative. In fact, both candidates should probably never have mentioned their opponents at all. But most interesting was that nothing McCain ever said made them really excited. They were often positive about what he said, just never at the highest possible rating. Whereas many things Obama said (even though to me they just sounded like standard debate rhetoric) caused them to give very high ratings. It was pretty easy to tell who won, anyway. To me, Obama looked like a president and McCain looked like some weird character from a Batman movie, with the weird jokes, the eyebrows bobbing up and down, the erratic pacing, even while Obama was talking.

Cough, cough, I guess I'll be needing a nap at work today.

3 comments:

Marinka said...

Are you sure that it was only 17 times? Because it seemed like it was 17 times in the first five minutes.

KC said...

Batman character is spot on! He looked like an old bitter villain - all he needed was clown make-up.

ShallowGal said...

That cough is WICKED. My daughter has been battling it for over a month.

xoxo, SG