Thursday, June 26, 2008

June's Birthday Party

Tomorrow is my 10 year old daughter's birthday party. Originally she wanted to have a "movie making" party, where she and her friends acted out and filmed a story. I did everything I could think of to talk her out of this, because I could only picture eight little girls screaming at each other arguing about what the story should be, never even making it to the filming stage. After we bought an above ground pool last month, she decided to have a swim party instead, thank goodness!

So tomorrow, she and her friends will be screaming and splashing in the pool. We're ordering pizza. My daughter has never liked cake, so every year we have a great challenge coming up with a substitute for the birthday cake. One year we frosted and decorated a cut up watermelon to look like a cake. This year, we decided to make fake cupcakes out of frozen whipped cream. We'll have vanilla and chocolate. All I need to do is spray the whipped cream into cupcake holders, stick in the freezer, and frost and decorate when they're solid.

Instead of the traditional goody bags, June decided that she wanted to make a little mini shop where her friends could buy things to put in their goody bags. So she's giving them monopoly money, and I bought a bunch of little toys from the $1 section at Target, plus just a few $2-$3 Littlest Pet Shop and girly lip glosses for them to "buy." June's sister, March, has agreed to run the shop.

A couple of her friends get to spend the night after the party. Okay, I really should have put my foot down and made her choose either a sleepover OR a party. My husband has pointed this out to me. And he's totally right. But sometimes SuperMom is too busy flying around to stop and put her foot down!!

2 comments:

Olga said...

oooh, I remember the watermelon "cake"...so good and refreshing in the summer heat.

Have a great time at the party. Remember to keep that sanity :)

Unknown said...

frozen whipped cream cupcakes - that's pure genius! :)