Monday, June 30, 2008

Summer Charity Project

So, it's going to be a long summer break. I am trading kid-watching with another Mom, whose daughter is June's best friend. They spend so much time together, though, that they act just like siblings. In other words, they get in fights constantly over nothing, and make up before I can even figure out who started it. So here's the dynamic. Anna (I'll call her that to protect her privacy) naturally tries to follow March in everything she does, because she's older and more mature. This completely aggravates June, who tries to keep Anna away from March, due to an also natural sibling rivalry. So, the long and the short of it is that these three will be spending Mon-Fri together the whole summer. Two days at my house, two days at Anna's mother's house, and the fifth day with a teenage babysitter.

I started coming up with a list of summer projects they could do about two months ago, of course. So here's what they worked on last week and hopefully will finish today. They're writing a neighborhood newspaper. They interviewed a neighbor who's lived here for 45 years and asked her about her life and about how the city has changed. They interviewed a neighbor with a very crazy statue made out of a tree in her front yard. They are collecting some interesting tidbits about events going on in the neighborhood. Then they're going to put it all nice and neat into the computer, and make a bunch of copies.

They're trying to raise money for Meals on Wheels, a charity that I explained to them is suffering greatly from rising gas costs. So they asked several local small businesses to contribute to the charity in exchange for an advertisement in the paper. Wow, what a nightmare! You'd think they were asking for a million dollars the way they've gotten the runaround. Sigh. Well, I guess at least they've learned something about the way the world of nonprofits works!! They'll still ask for donations as they pass out the newspaper, so they'll be able to raise some that way.

That's one week down, 10 to go!!

3 comments:

Jane said...

Hi Cindy, great to hear from you again and it's lovely to see your blog! I didn't think we were going to hear from you again until after your baby was born. Hope you are keeping well and thanks for stopping by my blog.

Cindy said...

Unfortunately, I had a miscarriage at only 7 weeks. We're trying again, though. I've given up on intuitive eating--I just think that I can't hear my body's intuition because my mind is too loud.

Jane said...

Oh, I'm so sorry for your loss Cindy but hopefully you will become pregnant again very soon! :-) I can understand why you have given up on IE, it certainly isn't an easy option. I am amazed I have stuck at it for so long, mind you I have had many wobbles along the way but I am managing to stick with it and have more and more faith as I learn from every wobble. But we all have the find the path that is right for us as individuals.