Friday, September 26, 2008

One Heartbeat Away?

Okay, I know it's probably a mistake to introduce my political views onto this blog, but hey, my only visitors at the moment are my friends, and you already know where I stand, right?


So, Sarah Palin finally agreed to answer some questions off the cuff in front of reporters. Okay, to be precise, FOUR questions. Here is part of the transcript (no, I am not making this up, I cut it straight from CNN ) CNN article


Q: "do you agree with the way the Bush administration has handled the war on terrorism, is there anything you would do differently?"
A: "I agree with the Bush administration that we take the fight to them. We never again let them come onto our soil and try to destroy not only our democracy, but communities like the community of New York. Never again. So yes, I do agree with taking the fight to the terrorists and stopping them over there."


     Translation: McCain-Palin want to bring change to Washington. We just want to do it in exactly the same way that Bush has done it for the last 8 years. And, really, I'm still being tutored on how we've handled the war on terrorism, I haven't yet been tutored on how we would do it.


Q: "Do you think our presence in Iraq and afghan and our continued presence there is inflaming islamic extremists?"
A: I think our presence in Iraq and Afghanistan will lead to further security of our nation, again, because the mission is to take the fight over there. do not let them come over here and attempt again what they accomplished here, and that was some destruction. terrible destruction on that day. but since September 11, Americans uniting and rebuilding and committing to never letting that happen again.


     Translation: You didn't notice that I just gave you the same thirty second sound-bite answer that I gave you on the last question, did you? Because we haven't covered this material yet in my tutoring.


Q: "Do you support the reelection bids of embattled Alaska Republicans, Rep. Don Young and Sen. Ted Stevens?"
A: "Ted Stevens trial started a couple days ago. We’ll see where that goes."


     Translation: Oops, I'm going to get in trouble if I answer this one. So I guess, I'm really only agreeing to answer three questions then.


Q: "What do you think of bailout package before congress?"
A: "I don't support that until the provisions that Sen. McCain has offered are implemented in Paulson's proposals."


     Translation: I don't have the slightest clue about the bailout package. We haven't gotten to current events yet.


In other news, Sarah announced victory in Iraq.
( Washington Post )


We laugh, we joke, we watch SNL. And, yet, there are electoral projection maps out there (not even made out by Fox News) that project this as a close race, once that McCain Palin may even be leading. Washington Post electoral map 9/26/08 So I find myself, for the third time in twelve years, asking the question "How can it even be close? How can half this country, my country, see everything completely inverted from me?

2 comments:

Unknown said...

How can you possibly expect the other half of this country to be nearly as reasonable and smart as you are? Seriously!? :)

K said...

I agree with you 100%. I don't understand how people could be so duped by a crippled old man and a woman in a short skirt. It just doesn't make sense to me...